Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The Origin of the Church / NKJV 365

 The Origin of the Church

 The church was a mystery (that is, hidden, not revealed) in the Old Testament. It was first prophesied in these words spoken to Peter, “on this rock I will build My church.” In this prophecy, there is a play on the word “rock” which also happens to be Peter’s name. Jesus said, “you are Peter” (masculine, petros) and “on this rock [feminine, petra] I will build My church.” But when did the church actually begin? Again, many suggestions are offered for varying reasons. The simplest view is to understand the New Testament church as beginning on the Day of Pentecost in response to Peter’s Pentecostal sermon when “that day about three thousand souls were added to them [that is, the apostles]” (Acts 2:41). This group for the first time is called “the church” in Acts 2:47, and God added to their number daily those who were saved.

Taken from The Open Bible


 “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.”

‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16:18‬

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verses for September 24

☔️💜 “For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.” ‭‭James‬ ‭2‬:‭10‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬ “But even i...