Friday, September 29, 2017

The Jesus Bible Reading Plan / TREASURE IN HEAVEN

The Jesus Bible Reading Plan

Day 271 of 365

TREASURE IN HEAVEN

The writer of this psalm likely encountered many beautiful and impressive things while serving in the temple. Yet the confession of his heart was that God in heaven was his greatest treasure. Nothing on earth could compete with the glories of God. Nothing stirred his affections like the Sovereign Lord.
Jesus taught people to pull back from pursuing the treasures of earth - to stop storing them away for status and security. Money and possessions are temporary bits of wealth, and all of it can be stolen or ruined (Mt 6:19). As the psalmist's greatest prize was in heaven, so Jesus encouraged his listeners to invest in things that would last forever (Mt 6:20). On another occasion, Jesus used a parable to compare the kingdom of heaven to a treasure hidden in a field. "When a man found it, he . . . sold all he had and bought that field" (Mt 13:44).
Life on earth features many luxuries and objects of worth. Jesus teaches people to resist the temptation to chase after things that will not last. Rather, those who believe in Jesus should spend their years investing in their relationship with God and the people he loves - dispensing grace, making disciples and loving unconditionally. These treasures of heaven will endure forever and bring much glory to God.
Jesus, I live in a world obsessed with money and wealth. Protect me from these distractions, and help me to invest my energies where they matter: in you. Amen.

Psalms 73:25-26 NASB

25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail,

Matthew 6:19-20 NASB

19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verses for the Day / May 4

 πŸŒΊπŸ ”O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scr...