Monday, February 27, 2023

Hope for Today / February 27

 Words are powerful. You don’t need many to make a point, or stir an emotion, or spark a memory. I was working with a four-word text, “By faith Abraham obeyed,” when it seemed a floodgate opened somewhere in my soul and I was overwhelmed by a steady stream of four-word texts. In half an hour, I had jotted down 63. I ended up preaching 45 of those texts over a year’s time. Four words can tell quite a story: In the beginning, God. God is our refuge. How will they hear? Why are you angry? My grace is sufficient. It will be done. Has God indeed said? For He has risen. Why are you weeping? I never knew you. Can these bones live? The Lord remembered her. He tore his clothes. Be strong and courageous. You shall receive power. Sing to the Lord. Walk in the Spirit. Do you love me? To live is Christ. Whom shall I fear? All things are possible. The days are evil. I am not ashamed. I will come again. I am a debtor. So send I you. This man receives sinners. Have you not known? Great is your faithfulness. 


By year’s end, we had covered the core of God’s great story … in four words. Consider the awesome power God has chosen to concentrate in human speech and choose your words with great care.

“By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11‬:‭8‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verses for the Day / May 10

 🌿🌺 “But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.” 2 Thessalonians 3:3  “O God, You are my God;...